Saturday, July 23, 2011

Bad luck at the library...

Photobucket

Nicole & I went to the library a few days ago. Lakewood totally renovated their library a few years ago and I haven't been there since they made it all nice... so I was game. First we checked out the magazines. I was praying they had some terribly expensive Formula 1 magazines I haven't been able to afford for about 3 years, but alas, they did not... so I picked up a copy of Goldmine and leafed thru that for a bit.

I then had Nicole show me around the rest of the place and from there we decided to check out their massive CD collection. I only skimmed cos it was hot as hell in that room but I found about 6 CD's that looked interesting. I was wrong.

First I got this compilation that I thought was of original Bubblegum-Pop, but it was a covers album of 25 songs. Most of them sucked, though I found about 8 that I'd listen to again.

The next piece of crap I picked was another comp, "Children of of Nuggets" which sucked and was so scratched that the few good songs I found skipped even on my computer.

After that abomination I found Red Crayola's first album. I think I kept 3 of the 6 songs that didn't have too much "freaking out" on them. I could not care less about the noise crap on there, but when they bothered to compose songs I do find their sounds/songs terribly interesting and somewhat innovative for the times... but there's too much noisy crap that does nothing for me.

Then I got tricked by a Loved Ones CD, thinking I was getting a disc from the 60's Aussie group. I got the 90's version of a band with the same name, but they looked all throwback. Talk about false advertising!

I was then tricked AGAIN thinking I was picking up a comp of OLD Flaming Groovies tunes while 14 of the 18 tracks were NOT from the 60's! At this point I was getting infuriated!

After that debacle, the last two CD's shaped up.

I got REM's "Accelerate" album as that is the ONLY album from REM that I never got on CD or LP (though that will change as soon as I can help it) as the album came out in 2008 and just sorta slipped under my radar. I put that on and it was great, as I normally expect from REM.

So finally some good was coming out of my picks!

The last thing I got was The Raspberries "Refreshed" EP from 2000, sans Eric Carmen, so I was mildly skeptical to begin with, however I'm a fan and appreciator of Wally Bryson, so I knew the songs had a decent chance of not being a pile, and luckily I was right.

While I partially blame all the library stickers on the CD cases and the fact that I couldn't actually look at liner notes and check copyright dates and such for my horrendous picks, I was still really let down by my picks, however I'll dig in again to their CD's when I return these in a few days as I sell 99% of the vinyl that I buy and I've got a giant hard drive and I wouldn't mind some new tunes, if I can find some decent ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment